Monday, October 24, 2005

 

Jeff Online - Bengbu - 2

It's amazing how email and cellphones have changed our lives. I've been emailing Steven Tao, our contact in Bengbu, for so long that I felt like I knew him. As our train got closer to Bengbu, we called on the cellphone to make sure of each other's position. When we finally got off the train and walked out of the train station, we knew exactly where we were, and the only interruption we had before heading to a taxi was a warm hello and hug for us finally getting to meet each other.

Steven's handsome looks and his svelte figure make him appear to be not a day over 18. When I found out that he was 31, I nearly fell over. He was accompanied by his girlfriend Amanda, and after a short introduction, we were on our way to the hotel.

After a quick check-in, we started discussing our agenda for the next day. After that, YongMing decided to have a rest while Steven and I started to work scouting out local furniture manufacturers to see if we could get some beds cheaply made. We had previously been given a wish list by the orphanage which listed that they needed beds. While we had yet to actually verify this need, we didn't want to waste any time.

My first impression of Bengbu, as in many Chinese cities I have visited, showed the massive movement towards change. This was evidenced by the construction of new high rises and new buildings at every turn. Old buildings were being abandoned, or had already been left to decay. Others were in process of being torn down. I had certainly been to more opulent areas of China, but even in the face of old buildings and broken up sidewalks, it was clear that this place was going to be unrecognizable ten years from now. While it appears that progress is inevitable, I wonder how much of the local charm would be lost. I cherished this, as I walked the streets.

Steven and I visited a furniture warehouse, where we met a man who was very enthusiastic to help us. We showed him pictures of our children, and introduced our organization, and he thanked us very much for our efforts. He told us he'd give us a good deal. He even showed us his woodworking factory. It was indeed an interesting place, and he apologized to us for it not being as advanced as what I must be used to in the USA, but I told him not to worry about it. He looked and acted like a good man, and he let me take pictures and he told me he'd work hard for us. What more can you ask for!



















Here's a photo of the woodshop and the sales manager for the furniture company.

Steven and his girlfriend then treated me to a wonderful meal at a local Schezchuan restaurant,
and I went back to the hotel. YongMing was rested, and we went over in detail what we were going to try to accomplish during the next day, and he made sure he had all the translations right. He also wanted to make sure we were prepared for different plans of action given the level of access we might be granted. We had a lot of ground to cover, from presenting boxes, presenting books, presenting family letters, taking a look at the orphanage, asking a lot of sensitive questions, to talking about future relations between Packages of Hope and the Bengbu orphanage.

Steven Tao told us that the Director would be waiting for us at the hotel at 9am.

I could barely sleep from the excitement!

Comments:
hi nice blog!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?